South Africa's basketball community

DHS JHB tour results in March 2008

By on March 18, 2008 in High School

Opponents: KES V11

1st 77 – 46

2nd 34 – 33

16A 33 – 28

16B 20 – 14

15A 32 – 25

15B 32 – 19

14A 30 – 26

14B 15 – 06

Opponents: St Johns

1st 33 – 18

2nd 72 – 30

16A 50 – 12

16B 38 – 32

15A 39 – 09

15B 13 – 14

14A 43 – 22

14B 28 – 08

Opponents: St Benedicts

1st 58 – 59

2nd 73 – 27

16A 32 – 19

15A 28 – 29

15B 37 – 19

14A 33 – 16

14B 28 – 03

St Johns tournament

Pretoria Boys 48 – 37

Ronderbosh boys 77 – 18

St Johns 33 – 18

Semi Finals: KES V11 19 – 10

Finals: rain disrupted play (we were due to play St Benedicts in the finals which we did on Sunday) The week end got off to a good start on Friday night with the first game of the Johannesburg tour, against KES V11 being played at the Mandeville sports hall. The game was played in a great spirit between two schools who’s rivalry stretches back a number of years. KES were able to stick with the DHS team for the first two quarters but then were unable to maintain the pressure as they had to use their bench due to foul trouble. The score belied the toughness of the game as DHS ran away with the score in the fourth quarter and won the game 77 – 46. The team played in the St Johns basketball tournament which was held at St Johns. We were matched up against Pretoria boys in the first game of the morning, DHS as usual played poorly, in the early morning, and were never able to pull away from a tough Pretoria side that would not lay down and die. Point guard Toby Ncube injured himself by knocking into his own player, in the first few minutes of the first quarter and could not continue the game. DHS worked themselves into a good position being up by 18 points and saw that lead crumble to dust as it was cut to just 6, the DHS team rallied and hung on to win the game. The second game was against Ronderbosh Boys High. DHS was able to dominate from the jump ball, they were all business and the game was over by the end of the first quarter, the bench was able to play the last three quarters giving the starters some well deserved rest. Big men Yanick Kabuika and Michael Lawernson played well to dominate their shorter opponents. Chango Mangena, Clifton Accom and Cebo Nxumalo showed that they could also contribute on the court and this was to prove vital in later games. The third game against St Johns was business as usual the team put in a good effort and played well never looking uncomfortable against the hosts. They were able to score at will and made it extremely difficult for the opposition to score. Unfortunately the defensive rebounding is still a problem and needs to be addressed for the DHS team to reach its full potential. The semi finals saw DHS pitted against KES V11, DHS did not allow KES to score a point in the first quarter, but allowed them a few easy points of second or third attempts in the paint after they had secured offensive rebounds. The heavens opened and the game was called off late in the third quarter. This brought about the end of the tournament. The teams who had made it to the finals were set to meet each other on Sunday and so it set the tone for the St Benedicts match on Sunday morning. The last time DHS played St Benedicts they one by one point in a tense encounter. DHS soon found themselves in the unusual position of being down by 10 points and seemed unable to dig themselves out of the hole they had created. St Benedicts capitalised on DHS not boxing out and having easy offensive rebounds and put backs. DHS was soon in foul trouble and had to sit some of their big players on the bench. DHS played poorly on defense and allowed the opposition to work their half court offence and get some easy outside shots. By half time DHS was down 16 points and looking at a big hiding perhaps the first in recent years. At half time the coaches told the players to speed up the game and force St Benedicts to play quickly to force them into turnovers. DHS would come within 4 points and then allow an easy three point shot to put themselves under pressure. This continued through out the third quarter, the fourth quarter saw three of the starting five fouled out. And the bench having to shoulder the burden and climb the mountain, which they did in spectacular fashion, with two minutes on the clock DHS found themselves down by only 4 points and a spectacular three point shot by Clifton Accom put the game within reach, but the team was just not able to score the last basket to put themselves in front despite having chances to do so. In the end the DHS players lost the fight but they won many supporters with their ability to fight back and not give up even when the odds are stacked against them. The game against St Charles this Friday may prove very interesting. The school played a total of 25 games while on tour won 21 and lost 4 a very good record; the basketball players represented the school and province well.


If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Comments are closed.